Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sticker Art


I am a sticker artist. I find some people shrug and giggle when I declare my sticker work to be art. My palette of stickers is vast, and I use it to paint portraits of my world. I live in a world of candy canes, dogs, lions and beach balls. I live in a world of Elmo, tabloid journalism and Oprah, and believe me, there are stickers for every part of our world. I love when things are sticky on the back and can put them where ever I want. Today is Chanukah, and I took a giant snoopy sticker and stuck it on my shirt. I don't feel that has anything to do with Chanukah, except, maybe just as the Maccabees were out of oil but had light, we have Snoopy stickers.

I have been drawing and making wooden birds for years but some days long to be a sticker artist. I wonder if Duchamp would have been a sticker artist if he were alive today.

No comments: